In Episode 38 Scott and Ben discuss how roles within IT have changed and evolved with move to the cloud. What does it take to be successful as an Office 365 Architect? How as the Admin’s role changed with the move to Office 365? For everyone from SharePoint Admins to Exchange Admins to Skype for Business Admins, your role is changing. We’ll discuss at a higher level how the IT Pro’s mindset and approach to administration needs to change when diving into Office 365.
News & Updates
A page for your blog posts
In Episode 37, Ben interviews Steve Peschka of Office365Mon where they discuss what you can monitor in Office 365 and Azure and most importantly – what you’ll want to consider when it comes to monitoring the service health of your cloud-based platforms.
About Steve Peschka
Steve Peschka is one of the founders of Office365Mon and an 18 year veteran of Microsoft. At Microsoft, he spent the last dozen years working almost exclusively with the SharePoint, Office 365 and Office 365 Dedicated teams. That included significant work helping some of the largest enterprises, governments, and military organizations design, deploy and develop on different versions of SharePoint going all the way back to pre-release versions of SharePoint 2001. In 2015 Steve left Microsoft to help start-up Office365Mon.Com, which is now a market leader in monitoring for Office 365, as well as a new sister service called AzureServiceMon for monitoring Azure. Office365Mon now has over 2000 customers and growing and Steve is the CEO. Steve was a frequent speaker at a variety of Microsoft events over the years and still continues to share thoughts at the SamlMan blog at https://samlman.wordpress.com/.
In Episode 36, Ben and Scott cover Office 365 news for October 2017, including the Skype to Microsoft Teams transition roadmap
- Roadmap for Skype for Business capabilities coming to Microsoft Teams now available
- Skype for Business to Teams Capabilities Roadmap.pdf
- Office 365 Roadmap – Teams Features
- Changes to the previous OneDrive sync client (Groove.exe) in Office 2016 Click-to-Run
- Update to forms in Modern Lists, including custom forms with PowerApps – coming soon!
- See files shared with you in OneDrive
- Announcing our Microsoft Content Services white paper
- New feature: Create and Manage Groups in Outlook for iOS & Android
- Insiders can now try Outlook’s all-new search experience
- How Office 365 validates the From address to prevent phishing
- RFC 5322
- Outlook for iOS end of support for iOS 9
- Migrate your public folders to Office 365 Groups
In Episode 35, Ben and Scott tackle Yammer, Microsoft’s Enterprise Social Network available in Office 365.
- Say hello to Yammer
- Yammer Overview
- Yammer Enterprise stand-alone plan to retire by January 2017
- Yammer admin guide
- Enforce Office 365 identity for Yammer users
- Compliance Framework for Industry Standards and Regulations – Customer Guidance
- Microsoft Online Services Data Center Map
- Microsoft Teams, Office 365 Groups, SharePoint, Yammer… What Should I Use, and When?
PowerApps, Flow, the Common Data Service (CDS) and Poetry? Scott and Ben walk you through getting started building solutions in Office 365 leveraging these three technologies.
- Modify SharePoint forms with PowerApps
- PowerApps pricing and skus
- Pricing for Microsoft Flow
- Common Data Service (CDS) introduction
- Use Cases:
- Paul Culmsee
- John Liu
- All the PowerApps updates and sessions from Microsoft Ignite
In Episode 33, Ben and Scott review all (well most of) the SharePoint-specific news from around Microsoft Ignite.
- Updating content management for the cloud
- SharePoint & OneDrive Security & Compliance Updates from Microsoft Ignite
- Security you can trust, control you can count on with SharePoint and OneDrive (Ignite News)
- Changes to SharePoint Pages
- Introducing the new SharePoint Admin Center
- SharePoint hub sites new in Office 365
In this episode, Scott and Ben update you on the latest Office 365 news for September that was NOT from Microsoft Ignite. We talk mostly about news that was announced pre-ignite that you may have missed or glossed over with the flurry of news during Ignite.
- Fewer login prompts: The new “Keep me signed in” experience for Azure AD is in preview
- Changes to the Token Lifetime Default in Azure Active Directory
- September Updates to Office 365: Verify Domain with email, Automated Domain Delete, Guess User Icon
- New feature: Advanced Threat Protection Safe Links Additional Features – White list domains
- The GigJam preview is retiring
- New feature: Default link permission
- Updated feature: Support for # and % in SharePoint Online and OneDrive <- Enabled by Default
- Updated feature: List view for OneDrive and SharePoint – Compact Version
- Updated feature: Outlook on Android Add-ins
- Important news about FindTime <- Spoiler: It’s being retired
- New feature: Yammer desktop app is available to all!
- Updated feature: Office 365 App launcher is changing (Again)
In our final Microsoft Ignite special, Scott has a Microsoft Teams Interview with Wictor Wilén. They talk at a high level about Microsoft Teams and then dive into extending Teams using the Yeoman Generator from Wictor.
- Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Teams Yeoman Generator
- Microsoft Teams Development Center
- Getting Started with Bots
- Getting started with Connectors
- Getting Started with Tabs
- Wictor’s Blog
About Wictor Wilén
Wictor Wilén is a Group Manager and SharePoint Architect working at Avanade. Wictor has achieved the Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA) – SharePoint 2010, Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM) – SharePoint and Microsoft Certified Master (MCM) – SharePoint 2010 certifications. He has also been awarded Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) since 2010.
Wictor is specialised in SharePoint Solution Architecture and has been involved in the SharePoint industry since the birth of SharePoint. He is also heavily involved in the SharePoint community and is co-founder of the Swedish SharePoint User Group, SSUG. Wictor is the author of SharePoint 2010 Web Parts in Action and co-author of Inside Microsoft SharePoint 2013.
In this special episode from Microsoft Ignite, Ben interviews Anne and Shilpi from Microsoft all new announcements around Office 365 Usage Analytics. Including announcements around: New Usage Report, Usage Score and Advanced Usage Analytics in Office 365.
Shilpi is a Principal Program Manager on the Office 365 team. She is primarily focused on providing Office 365 commercial customers actionable insights into service level usage and has delivered the Office 365 Admin Usage reports as well as the Office 365 Adoption content pack in Power BI
Live from Microsoft Ignite!
In Episode 29, Ben and Scott discuss the architecture of Microsoft Teams, how it is deployed and managed by Microsoft, and how organizations can enable themselves for a successful deployment in light of the announcement that Skype for Business will be built into Microsoft Teams.